Sunday, October 09, 2005

Circa Survive "Juturna"

Circa Survive "Juturna"
released 4/19/05



This is the looong awaited debut album from Circa Survive on Equal Vision Records. As many people know, Anthony Green, the singer of Circa Survive, was the driving force behind his last band SAOSIN. The band made such HUGE waves in the music scene with just one 5 song EP. So, there was a tremendous buzz behind Circa Survive before the release of this album. It features ex-singer of Saosin as well as 2 members of the defunct THIS DAY FORWARD (equal vision records).

Now that you have an idea of how this band should sound... throw it out the window. This is hardly compariable to Saosin, and waaay on the other end of the "kickin ass" spectrum as This Day Forward. Way toned down from Saosin and This Day Forward. Not to say it doesn't have it's heavy moments, but even those could fit flawlessly in a Dashboard Confessional song. This is not what I would have expected, but it is no dissappointment. It still has Anthony's somewhat whiny, under-aged pitch to it that gave Saosin's singing moments their power. I don't believe there is any screaming on this album (think Saosin screaming) but there is some yelling, not the same, but it wasn't needed on "Juturna". The songs are powerful enough in themselves. The arraingment of the music is very intricate and groovy at points. This album is slick, that's all I can really say, it reminds me of a cd you put on when you're ready to be intimate with your lady friend. I know that sounds lame, but it's just got that "lets make love" vibe, not the "let's fuck!" vibe. Anthony also has an acoustic song, track 11. ... and stay tuned for the secret song at about 8 minutes in

Negative points about the album: 1) It's not as heavy as I would have hoped, I must admit I really do miss hearing Anthony's screaming voice, it was so perfect. 2) The album is lenghty and sometimes seems to drone on, I can't sit and listen to the whole album. 3) It took a few times around to warm up to the album

All around, it is a very solid debut from a band that will be growing across the country. So if you don't know Circa Survive, you better know them now before they blow up and you are accused of getting on the 'trendy train'

I saw them perform the day after the release at Vintage Vinyl in NJ, it was an excellent performance. Anthony got into it, but it was not as energetic as say,a Saosin performance would be, but it's not Saosin. I really need to stop comparing them to Saosin, they are not Saosin, and never will be again. I think this is what alot of fans are thinking too.... I got to see the guys from Equal Vision again at the show, which was cool. I was chattin with them, telling them I'm trying to be a publicist. Dan, the A&R guy, and the guy who basically runs the label, told me he'd send me the Weerd Science cd, which is Josh from Coheed and Cambria's side rap-project, but thats a different story. So the show was good, as energetic as it could be, and while the band packed up Anthony played his acoustic song, its was excellent!

When I put this cd in, I skip right to track 2, then 5, then I start it from the beginningStand Out Tracks- 1) Holding Someone's hair back, 2) Act Appalled, 4) The Glorious Nosebleed, 5) In Fear and Faith, 7) Stop The Fucking Car, 8) We're all Theives, 11) Meet me in Montauk


OK, SO I WROTE THIS REVIEW WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT. AFTER MONTHS OF LISTENING TO IT, I CAN NOT STOP!!!! IT IS AMAZING... SO MUCH BETTER THAN SAOSIN WAS. I GOT TO MEET ANTHONY AT WARPED TOUR AND I TOLD HIM THAT CIRCA SURVIVE WAS THE ONLY BAND I CAME TO SEE (WHICH WAS TRUE) AND HE WAS FLATTERED... HE ALSO COMMENTED ON MY MINUS THE BEAR T-SHIRT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home