Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Wolf Parade "Apologies To The Queen Mary"

Wolf Parade "Apologies To The Queen Mary"
released 9/27/05



I never heard of this band until I saw them perform at a CMJ party mid-September. I was blown away. I visited their myspace page for about 4 hours every day for like 2 weeks clicking "play" until the album came out (www.myspace.com/wolfparade). I can get obsessive sometimes. Ever since this album came out I haven't gone ONE day without listening to it. I think I've posted like 4 or 5 MySpace bulletins alerting people of this awesome band. I can't stop talking about them..... needless to say, I really like this band!

So, this Montreal 5-piece released their album "Apologies To The Queen Mary" on Sub Pop records, produced by Isaac Brock (singer of Modest Mouse)- you can kind of get a jist of how they sound. They vary singers from track to track, and hardly share their vocal duties on the same track (except on track 4). The singer with a very weird, pitch-alternating voice is also the keyboardist (Spencer Krug), and the rockier/drug-addict sounding singer is the guitarist (Dan Boeckner). I also notcied the guitarist snarls his lip when he sings, similar to Elvis and Billy Idol.

The music is heavily keyboard/other-electronic-device driven (I don't know the name of the instrument the one guy plays, but it is fuckin weird and amazing!!) indie rock. If you like Conor Oberst of Bright Eye's or Jello Biafra's of Dead Kennedy's voice, you will be able to appreciate the keyboardists vocals. It's an acquired taste. This album isn't 100% solid though, but the excellent tracks cover for the mediocre tracks. Maybe I haven't given the tracks I call mediocre enough attention to enjoy them. I am stuck on the songs I love and listen to them on repeat. When I put the disc in, I skip right to track 4, "We Built Another World" and let it play on to the next "Fancy Claps". I skip one to track 7- "Shine a Light" and let it run straight through to track 10 "It's a cure".

One bad note about the album is that it comes with no lyrics,-- not even a freakin official website. And it's kind of hard to decipher some of the lyrics.

As I look through the book right now I am realizing something- they had a second guitarist on stage the whole time, but he is not part of the band. It says he appears on tracks 4, 5, and 7, and is courtesy of Merge Records, his name is Tim Kingsbury. I don't know who that is. Hmmm, research should be done.

Tracks I recomend- #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8, #9, #10, #12

If you like Modest Mouse, The Arcade Fire, or anything released on Sub Pop, then you will like this album

8 Comments:

Blogger weblogz said...

AOL and HackADay?
The deal, 'expands AOL's presence in the blogging community and the company's potential to attract advertising dollars', says the Associated Press .
Hi you've got a great blog here, the best I've seen so far for Online loans - apply for loans online related. Keep up the good job! I found a similar Online loans - apply for loans online related website yesterday, check it out. Looks like the
Online loans - apply for loans online related site does not have a blog yet, so check them out at their company site.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Askinstoo said...

Just thought I'd let you know about a site where you can make over $800 a month in extra income. Go to this site   MAKE MONEY NOW  and put in your zip code..... up will pop several places where you can get paid to secret shop, take surveys, etc.  It's free.  I found several and I live in a small town!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Linda Johnson said...

Some Lawmakers Starting to Use Blogs for Public Relations
A small but growing number of lawmakers on Capitol Hill who have tried their hands at blogging.
Find out how you can buy & sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

8:53 PM  
Blogger groovegear said...

What Will RealNetworks Do With The Money?
What Will RealNetworks Do With The Money? : With this $460 million cash bounty, RealNetworks now ... Together, the two command upwards of 44 percent of the market...AOL's AIM has about 56 percent, says BetaNews.
Nice to see some decent content for a change. FYI, I log on today and see that we've got a new feature, the 'Flag blog' button, which is inconveniently located between the 'Get Your Own Blog' and 'Next Blog' buttons so that we would presumably be getting some flags on error alone (although if one happens to notice it, you can unflag a blog) But that's a trivial matter. What concerns me is this: When a person visiting a blog clicks the "Flag?" button in the Blogger Navbar, it means they believe the content of the blog may be potentially offensive or illegal. We track the number of times a blog has been flagged as objectionable and use this information to determine what action is needed. This feature allows the blogging community as a whole to identify content they deem objectionable. Ok, see the problem with this? What's "objectionable." I'm guessing there are a good deal of people that would likely deem my blog to be objectionable; and there lies the problem: what is objectionable and what is subjective. Just my 2 cents, Police Patches

8:54 PM  
Blogger ThomasAllen said...

What Will RealNetworks Do With The Money?
What Will RealNetworks Do With The Money? : With this $460 million cash bounty, RealNetworks now ... Together, the two command upwards of 44 percent of the market...AOL's AIM has about 56 percent, says BetaNews.
Hey, you have an impressive blog here! Excellent job. I have a treadmill exercises site. It pretty much covers treadmill exercises related stuff.

Come and check it out when you get time :-)

8:58 PM  
Blogger Andrea Peterson said...

Sun Microsystems teams with the United Nations to bring next generation of...
Sun Microsystems, Inc. will sponsor 12 young African civic and technology leaders, including Neema Mgana of Tanzania, the youngest of 1,000 global activist women collectively nominated for the 2005 Nobel Prize ...
Find out how you can buy & sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Barry said...

Technology Blog Master Class
Posted by Stowe Boyd Applications are now being accepted for my first Master Class on Technology Blog Writing.
Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my marketplace related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Blog Surfer said...

What Will RealNetworks Do With The Money?
What Will RealNetworks Do With The Money? : With this $460 million cash bounty, RealNetworks now ... Together, the two command upwards of 44 percent of the market...AOL's AIM has about 56 percent, says BetaNews.
I am rich and your not! Oh, and I am a jerk too. You might not want to be The Rich Jerk but rich might help.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home